Can bumble foot cause paralysis symptoms?

Hello chicken lovers,

Once again another issue with one of my 2 year old hens... I noticed a couple of weeks ago one of my hens was losing energy, not interested in mealworms and kind of separating herself from my flock. Her comb also was turning a bit purplish, I figured heart problems.

This past Thursday I noticed her having issues walking, stumbly and off balance, I decided to take her into the house to keep a closer eye on her. By friday she barely was able to walk at all. I started giving her Vitamin B complex and Aspirin for her discolored comb. Now I was leaning towards Mereks desease...

Her comb looked better Saturday so I let her out a bit and she moved around a bit better, but balancing herself with her right wing of the ground falling to the right. I took her back in and gave her more aspirin, vitamin B complex, de-wormer and electrolytes, banana, scrambled egg and water. She eats and drinks fine!

Then today she is nearly paralyzed in her legs (wings work fine), I was talking to her in tears that I am sorry and that I will have to put her down. Tho I couldn't do it just yet after all this effort I put in already. I decided to bring her back in.

I noticed her left foot is a bit swollen and looks like bumble foot to me?... would this cause the issues she has walking, falling to her right side? She doesn't want to put any weight on her legs, even less on her right one (the one without bumble)

View attachment 1939824

Please I need help, thinking of bringing her to a vet tomorrow if I can't figure it out, hope i can get her fixed up again
Absolutely. This is an easy fix. Watch a video on bumble foot and remove the core. Get the infection out then soak with Epsom salt . Put pure honey on the wound and wrap. She will
Be her old self again soon.

It sounds like you are on the right track! That did look like a bad case of bumble, glad you're helping her.
I also use the ivermectin cattle pour on treatment for external parasites on birds, it will kill certain kinds of worms also. I have never tried using the injectable kind in poultry. And unlike permetherin, you don't have to re-treat repeatedly as all of the eggs hatch, since the stuff stays active on the birds for about 4 weeks. For a heavy infestation though, you may have to use both. Don't forget to treat the coop and bedding too.

I found an aerosol insect killer spray containing pyrethrin, I sprayed a bit on a paper towel and rubbed it around a bit in her coat. Not very healthy but that might kill some of the lice now. Yikes poor girl.
Here in the states we have aeresol fly sprays that are use for poultry houses and dairy, it is safe to spray directly onto animals. Should work just fine if there aren't other harmful insecticide ingredients in the stuff you have.

The stuff I have on hand looks like straight up poison in a can.

Contents:
Pyrethrins, N-Octyl Biclycloheptene dicarboximide & permethrin

I lightly rubbed her with the paper towel, so should not be too harmful I hope, but harmful enough to kill lice.

Boss, that sounds like your best option at this point.

I suppose the only option. Does pyrethrin only kill lice if they come in contact with it, or do they just have to be close to it? They are on her eye lids and obviously i did not go near her face with that poison..

She seems to be giving up the ghost more every day, I hope it is the infection causing her lameness and that the antibiotics will help her back up soon, quite worrisome.

Back
Top Bottom