can caged hens go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenshiha, Jan 15, 2017.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    I get breeds of chicken and put each pair of same breed in a 4x4 coops with a little run for each pair and I got 2 silkies one male and one female and was wondering if I only have a rooster and a hen in a coop by themselves will the hen go broody? I have been thinking about it for days cuz silkies go broody but only a pair can they go broody? I'm not the mix flock breed type

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Yes, I do it fairly routinely with my chickens. It is in my trade referred to as single mating. I like to make so when hen is on nest, much of the time rooster is not in direct line of sight. Most of time hens nest in a covered box with opening away from open area of pen. An overturned bucket also makes for a good nest site. I like to use soil as part of the nesting material.

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Most of my pens are similar to the one below except design I like best is as tall as it is wide. Do not make nest like I did unless rooster is removed.

[​IMG]

4. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    so when the sit I take the hen away and her eggs and rooster all by himself or leave her with her eggs with the rooster in the cage

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I remove rooster. Hen is more attached to site than actual eggs so moving her is very likely to break her broodiness. Much of time I give each hen her own pen. Every couple days or so hen and rooster allowed to meet usually in her pen our outside to mate, then both directed back to respective pens using feed as an enticement. Birds tame and trained a little for such to work,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by