Can call ducks house with holland lop rabbits?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 2blueguineas, Feb 3, 2012.

1. 2blueguineas

2blueguineas Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    West Virginia
    I have a pair of call ducks, and I have been thinking about getting one or two holland lop rabbits and I was just wondering if it would be safe to keep them together? Would the ducks be too messy in the housing area to keep with the rabbits? Just a thought.

2. Duckadia

Duckadia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Narrabri, AUS
    I know a lady who got a Muscovy duckling off me, and she housed it with a rabbit. They turned into the best of friends, even though the rabbit would chew at the ducks feathers, but thats the worst that would happen.

3. 2blueguineas

Jan 26, 2012
    West Virginia
    Thank you! I think they would be so cute out there together, I found a little Barn shaped pet home I am going to get for them, and redo my run. I just thought if I could get the rabbits I would put them with the calls. Thanks again!

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    The drake can become very aggressive during breeding season and attack the rabbit. The rabbit could crush any eggs you get, chew on the feathers (which is not good for the duck) and or not be able to get out of the water in which your call ducks swim. Not to mention the splashing and wing beating and over all watery mess that the calls will think is heaven and the rabbit not so much.

Each animal has its own needs and to mix and furred rabbit with a water repellent duck would be messy. Their feed requirements are also much different, which would pose an issue between the two.

We have calls and rabbits, they have seperate housing. Sometimes if the grass in a flight pen is getting too tall I will turn a rabbit loose in it for an hour or so. But we are talking 6' high x 12' deep by 14' wide space too.

5. 2blueguineas

Jan 26, 2012
    West Virginia
    Those were my concerns. Well thank you for the run down. :)

6. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I think my sweet, quiet Holland Lop would become a nervous, schizo Holland Lop if she lived with my ducks.
    Aside from the other great points that Celtic Oaks brought up, it seems my bunny likes quiet, rest & some bursts of low level activity. My ducks are ever chattering, foraging, running from one part of the enclosure to another.
    Obviously, we all have different circumstances, and you have to do what is best for you. I think my rabbit likes her house. All to herself.

7. 2blueguineas

Jan 26, 2012
    West Virginia
    Sounds like that would be best. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by