Can call ducks live with full size ducks

The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
Hey so I currently have 3 duck hens a Rouen and two Muscovy’s and my friend needs a home for there call Duck would it be ok to add a call duck in with bigger bird
Also all three of my ducks live with my chickens

Hey so I currently have 3 duck hens a Rouen and two Muscovy’s and my friend needs a home for there call Duck would it be ok to add a call duck in with bigger bird
My two little Call Ducks were separated for only a day from the rest of my flock which is Muscovy, Rouen, Khaki Campbell, Mallards and Mule Ducks and they all get along just fine. I did keep a close eye out for the first day to make sure they were safe.

I have 4 drake Call Ducks with my two Muscovy Hens, 2 Rouen Hens, 2 Mallard Hens, a Mule duck Hen, 2 Khaki Campbell Hens and a Mallard Rouen Drake and everyone gets along just fine. I rehomed my huge Muscovy Drake though so I don't know how they would have gotten along together. My Hens really like them and there are no problems whatsoever.

I wouldn't have female calls with a full sized drake in fear of harm caused by attempted mating. But all females, or male calls with larger hens, should be fine in theory

Yes as long as your bigger ducks are hens it should be just fine. My Mallard Rouen drake is with my Call drakes and hens and all is fine but he is in a total eclipse and since mating season is about up, not bothering anyone at this point. Also he had a wild Mallard Drake for a Dad and a female Rouen for a Mom. He is smaller than what he might have been with a domestic Drake. Good luck with yours. I was able to just put mine all together without any introduction as my Calls were small and young but fully feathered with their drake curl just coming on. Good luck with yours.

Ducks seem to be really tribal. I have pekins fighting with a large barnyard breed about the same size.... just because they are the "others".
My Pekin drakes fight with each other, mainly a certain two and they've been together since day one. Nothing major though, just some feathers being pulled. Seems the one getting the feathers pulled is the one lowest in rank.

I'm thinking of getting calls but they're not sexed so not sure cause I have Pekin drakes, a Pekin hen and the rest Swedish hens. I'm concerned if I end up with drake calls the boys could hurt them but maybe I could put with the girls cause they'd be significantly smaller? If I got girls I could put them with the other ladies but would have to keep them separate from the drakes when letting out (my drakes and hens are separated thru the night)

Back
Top Bottom