1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can cats go Insane? and oh, can dogs of OCD?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by miss heny, Nov 12, 2011.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

okay, for the first Q my cat is acting super weird, like meowing for no reason, trying to claw thro our window (it had a screen) and acting super sweet (he has not attack our feet or hand at all for months!)

okay, the 2 Q, we have a dog that would follow my mom EVER WHERE! she freaks out when my mom is gone, and if she get lock of of a room with my mom in it she would try to get back in.

help, please, and this is not a joke

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1. Not sure about the cat because i havent owned one in many years.
    2. Sounds like a case of separation anxiety.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    First question: is your cat spayed? Sounds like she is going into heat. Cats are often maniacs in heat...

4. miss heny

Quote:she is a he, and he is neutered, and he is 8 years old

5. miss heny

Quote:2.great [​IMG] it started after she lost her last buddy

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Dogs are pack animals. They need attention from others rather it's people or other dogs. If she lost her last friend than she may consider your mother the last of the pack. What breed is your dog? Some are more prone to separation. issues

7. miss heny

Quote:Cocker poo, she is right now with my dad on the couch, so i might as well get the ear plugs before he starts to snor [​IMG]

8. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Cats may not be technically insane but they will start acting funny on occasions. Being a Tim cat (my term for a neutered tom), there could be another cat nearby that has stirred up territorial instincts in him, which can lead to the window screen being slashed, sudden attention on humans, and vocalizations. Could also be his way of saying that he wants a different type of catfood.

My Nipper (female spayed dog) is the same way with me as you state your dog is with your mother. I go to the bathroom, she follows me in there more times than not. I go to bed, she jumps right in, I head out to feed the chickens, she leads the way to the run. I leave on a three day vacation, she sits out there where I park my truck and only comes in at night to get up on my bed, snuggle down on my pillow, and growls at anyone who bothers her. She doesn't mope quite as much if my hubby stays home as she does when we both leave, but she does express her sadness I left without her. It can be pouring down rain and sleet but if I head out the door Nipper, who cuddles under a blanket when it drops to 72 degrees, will head out there with me and give me big sad eyes for not being smart enough to stay in the house. She has a bond and I am her charge to be protected. If your mom is the one that stays home the most, is the one who dispenses the food and water the most, and happens to be the one that did most of the housebreaking, your dog has probably latched hold of her as the one to be protected and the alpha of the pack. Not OCD but plain ol' doggy sense.

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I agree, sounds like separation anxiety with the dog. But, to also answer your question, yes, dogs can get OCD.

can't help ya with the cat

10. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Poodles do tend to get very close to their owners. If you end up adding another dog this could possibly resolve this issue. Also adding a certain blanket or toy could help calm her down. Have you tried crate training? It may be something you could look into,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by