Can chicken eat these?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wrestling_mom, Oct 4, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    you know the suet things with birdsees, nut and berries? Can they have one once in a while to peck at?

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Yes, I have given mine one once.

I had it in the run and it did attract wild birds too though.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  3. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Thank you!!

4. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I hang them in my coops beginning at this time of year... they spend more time in the coop and it gives them something to peck at rather than getting any nefarious ideas of pecking one another... and the suet is good for birds during cold weather....[​IMG]

5. AnnieAlbright

AnnieAlbright Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Monmouth County, NJ
    I was going to buy one of those at the grocery store, but it says "Not for domesticated birds". Is there a reason for that? Is there something weird in the suet that shouldn't be passed to humans? I can't imagine there is, and they are just covering their butts since it's marketed for wild birds and not "pets".

6. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:I have had chickens for three years and have given them the suet blocks each winter... so far no chicken problems or customer complaints about eggs... thinking they maybe more concerned about parrots, cocketiels (sp?), etc.... I know those birds diets are much more limited.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Purina makes a product called "Flock Block" that's specifically for chickens & turkeys; it even has oyster shell & grit in it. It's a large, cube-shaped item. I put it inside a rubber or tin feed pan and put it in the coops during the cold parts of the year for something to peck at. Typically, for my coop that has between 12-14 birds in it, the block will last all winter long.

See pic of it here: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=puri...44&tbnw=160&start=0&ndsp=8&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by