Can chicken eggs hatch in a turner like quail can?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GBov, Jan 8, 2011.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    The title says it all really lol. Am about to go into lock down so need to know if the eggs need to come out of the turner? Oh, and do I need to up the humidity on lock down like for quail?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yes, remove the turner. It could harm the chicks if left in there. And yes you do need to increase humidity for lockdown. Between 45-55% is good.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  3. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:So the eggs just lay down on the bottom of the bator then? I leave the quail eggs in the turner racks but out of the turner itself, if thats clear? Am a bit tired to make much sense lol.

4. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I've never taken out the turner or turned it off, never had an issue. But to be safe, take it out, at least unplug it. Yes, humidity goes up on day 18.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:So the eggs just lay down on the bottom of the bator then? I leave the quail eggs in the turner racks but out of the turner itself, if thats clear? Am a bit tired to make much sense lol.

Not sure what kind of bator you have, but yes on the mesh bottom, not the bottom bottom. You can also use trimmed down egg cartons to help with clean up too.

6. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    I asked a similar question about if I should take the turner out or not and I got a reply from a lady that told me to take the egg turner out and to put in a shelf liner for them so they dont slip [​IMG] I bought my liner yesterday and I am all set for lockdown tomorrow! I am so excited I cant sit still!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  7. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:I went into lockdown today. Its just as exciting EVERY time I do it [​IMG] Am looking forward to seeing if 5 of our eggs hatch as they were from a nest that had been abandoned due to all of the other hens laying when the poor broody would get up to eat. Little thing finally couldnt cover all the eggs andgave up so we kept the eggs that candled as new. The other 10 eggs had started to develop but as the nest was abandoned during a VERY cold spell they were all dead of cold by the time they were given to us.

Still, fingers cross for the 5 we kept, and the four that had been laid that day, and the 10 RRR eggs............

LOVE hatching eggs [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can leave the turner in there but I would turn it off. I've not had any problems with chickens getting stuck but I have had quail get their little heads stuck between the turner racks when they hatched early/I forgot to move them [​IMG]

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Eggs don't need turned the last 3 days, but it doesn't hurt if they are. but would turn it off so chicks don't get caught in it. Nowv as far as taken them out and placing on the bottom, beware if still air incubator they will be cooler there. Temp top of egg 101.....

10. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Try put some water in with a straw or funnel if possible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by