can chicken flu affect quail and chicken that have been vaccinated

birdmaniac3000

Songster
12 Years
May 15, 2010
los angeles
can chicken flu affect quail and chicken that have been vaccinated because right now i have a chicken that is sick and full of flem i was wonderind if the chicks i bought from cackle hatchery would get sick aswell even though they have been vaccinated i also have other birds around rthem can any one help much appreciated

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206200.htm

CHECK
THE LINK
smile.png

WERE THE CACKLE HATCHERY BABIES SPECIFICALLY IMMUNIZED FOR AVAIN FLU? IF SO THEY SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST LIMITED RESISTANCE TO IT, PROVIDED THEY WERE IMMUNIZED WITH THE STRAIN YOUR INFECTED BIRD HAS. NOW GAMEBIRDS SUCH AS QUAIL/ PHEASANTS GENERALLY DO NOT TOLERATE EVEN THE MILDEST POULTRY DISEASES.... SO ALL BETS ARE OFF ON THESE SPECES. I WOULD SUGGEST STRICT BIO- ISSOLATION UNTIL IT IS COMPLETELY RESOLVED AND HAS BEEN FOR AT LEAST 2 WEEKS. ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE ITS INFLUENZA?

i don't think it is influenza as you called it but my chicken has not layed any eggs for 10 days and yesterday she showed lots of sign of being sick she had stuffed sinuses and when one of my family members picked her up to sheck her out and to give her some lemon juice supposedly it will help her out but any how she stinked bad really bad a bad smell i never smell before and she was really burning .

First thing when you mention "smell" and snot that comes to mind is coryza. Chances are unless you practice heavy biosecurity they all might have it, just wont show signs. Very nasty stuff! The only antibiotic I know of that can wipe it out of even the carrier stage is baytril (but this i speculated). Respiratory diseases in poultry are never any good, and even if the bird survives it can still he a carrier and give it to others.
Quail in themselves are very fragile, and I wouldnt chance anything
sad.png

Tho I Have Not Noticed Any Odor From Coryza Apc Is Absolutely Correct. Usually Odor Is Caused By Bacterial Infections Such As Psuedomonas Which May Very Very Likely Be A 2ndary Infection Caused By The Original Mycoplasm Illness Like Coryza( Thats Usually What Causes Death In Mycoplasm Infections--- The 2ndary Illnesses)

If It Is A Mycoplasma Infection Such As Coryza Its About As Contageous To Quail As The Black Plaque Was To Humans In Midevil Times--- If 1 Catches It It Will Rip Thru Your Covey Like A Wildfire. And If You Should Happen To Have A Survivor It Will Be A Carrier For Life! Quail As A General Rule Do Not Respond Well To The Common Antibiotics Readily Available In Feed Stores And These Illnesses Generally Require "combination Therapy" Meaning 2 Or More Specialty Antibiotics Simultaneously--- At Least 1 Will Be Vet Only Supplier And The Other Likely A Mail Or Internet Order (1 Is Super Expensive And Hard To Get.... The Other Shows Up 3 Days After Your Bird Has Passed) Even With This Difficult And Expensive Treatment Managed Under An Avian Vet's Supervision Your Cure Rates Are Apallingly Low... Also Remember Once Cured= Carrier.

I Recommend Highly That You Use Strict Biologic Issolation And Consider Options And Consequences Here. Also I Would Nuke Everything With Bleach Water!

Back
Top Bottom