Can "chicken physical therapy" fix this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AriLovesChickens, Feb 26, 2012.

1. AriLovesChickens

AriLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    N Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    ...or do I need to kill it? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as I can tell, one or both of its feet are not working at all. One is splayed open and the other is clamped shut. And then there is the issue of its legs not straightening out or supporting its weight.

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    My best advice is try. I just (like a few days ago) had one that looked almost exactly like that. He didn't make it. Don't give up if you think you can save it. It's worth a shot. Just make sure you keep a constant eye on him. If he starts looking miserable (like mine did) then just be merciful. It's a very, very sad decision to make. I'm sorry you have a less than perfect chick. It looks like it needs shoes, and to have it's tendons slipped back into place. Make sure you know what to expect before you try to correct his tendons. It can be kind of traumatic if you are caught by surprise. Be very gentle and slow. It's not a pleasant job. For you, or the chicky. I had to hand feed mine because he couldn't stand. It's very time consuming and tedious. I'm not saying all this to discourage you, just trying to make sure you know what you might be getting into.
    Please keep me posted. Maybe you'll have better luck than me. [​IMG]

3. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/
    That's what I used for shoes.

Mine looked like this:
    [​IMG]

I'm still trying to find something about slipped tendons. I'll post it if/when I do.

4. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/189635/how-to-fix-a-slipped-tendon

I found this. This is the best I'm finding.

It's very, very hard to correct a slipped tendon. Just keep in mind, if he doesn't make it, it's not something you did. Slipped tendons are just very seldom able to be fixed. I wish you all the best.
    Please keep me updated. I'd really like to know how yours does.

5. AriLovesChickens

AriLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    N Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    There was a little about it here: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

There are just so many possible problems and not enough good pictures. I'm not qualified to make a diagnosis, you know?

I suspect it may not be feeling very well; it's spending more time lying around on it's back with feet in the air. I'll keep an eye on it.

6. bestpractice

bestpractice Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    I had a puppy born with a bum foot -- one paw out of four!. I decided to leave the puppy with his mom, but his mom put him out of the box. She knew what to do... She was a VERY good mom with all of her litters, but instinctively knew that pup needed to be "put down". After seeing that I'm not as squeamish about putting an animal down when it is quite young, before it suffers a lot. I'm looking at the little chicks eyes, and they look sunken in, like the chick is very sick. It's never easy. I agonize over my older animals when they start getting so ill they can no longer care for themselves. I've had years to get attached, but I've finally reached the point where I feel mercy for them, and do what I would want someone to do for me -- go quickly and quietly. It makes my heart ache, but I know I'm doing what's best for them and not keeping them alive because I don't have the courage to end their suffering -- every animal is different and every situation is different.

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    That's what mine did.
    It's feet are definitely curled, so the chick shoes might help. Have you tried to straighten it's legs? If they don't straighten without force, then it's probably a slipped tendon. If you don't try to get them straightened early, you won't be able to in a few days. (assuming it's slipped tendon) His legs will develop and grow, and there will be no chance for you to fix it. It doesn't take long.
    It's really important that you try to figure out what's wrong and get to fixing it or it may become irreversible.

8. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    That is a hard choice...if it is eating and drinking you might want to give it a shot. If not, or if you won't have the time to invest...you might want to consider other options.

9. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Are both hocks swollen and red like the one I can see in the pic?

10. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    It will be very time consuming trying to save this one. If you have work or school or something, then you might not be able to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by