Can chickens and Domestic turkeys live with each other?

Yes they do fine together
frow.gif

mine are doing just fine. The place we got our turkey from keeps their chickens and trkey together without issue.

Due to disease I wouldn't put them together.
That being said my parents tried keeping them together but they had problems with the toms killing the roosters so they had to separate them.

There is a disease called "blackhead" that turkeys can get from chickens.. some places there have been incidences of the disease so it's not recommended in those locations to house them together.. however there are some areas of the country where blackhead isn't a problem.. so before you put them together its recommended that you contact either the state veterinarian's office or country agricultural extension office to see if blackhead has been an issue in your area..

where I live they never had any cases of blackhead (in wild or domestic turkeys or any barnyard fowl) so it's safe for me to house my turkeys with my chickens.. in your area things may not be the same.. so it's better to check first

The post by yinepu is informative. Blackhead is not found everywhere. I haven't seen a post here that I can recall where anyone has lost a turkey to it?

A local vet who saw my chickens & baby turkey together and told me that 'blackhead will make turkeys just drop dead'. She suggested that they should be housed apart. She also said that a turkey can get sick from blackhead from free ranging in the same areas as chickens.

Although I do now house my chickens & turkey separate... I never had a problem while they did live together.

The post by yinepu is informative. Blackhead is not found everywhere. I haven't seen a post here that I can recall where anyone has lost a turkey to it?

A local vet who saw my chickens & baby turkey together and told me that 'blackhead will make turkeys just drop dead'. She suggested that they should be housed apart. She also said that a turkey can get sick from blackhead from free ranging in the same areas as chickens.

Although I do now house my chickens & turkey separate... I never had a problem while they did live together.

Several people have used cayenne pepper added to the turkey's feed and water which will help "cure" blackhead..
the "experts" claim that blackhead WILL kill every turkey that contracts it.. however I'm like you.. i don't ever recall seeing a post where a turkey has died from it.. maybe we just missed them?
Plus calling it "blackhead" is a bit of a misnomer since the blackening of the head is one symptom that rarely shows up on the bird once it becomes sick. lol.. makes me wonder sometimes about the "experts"

my birds are separate now too.. mainly because it just makes feeding easier.. but they were housed together for quite a while with no problems

Back
Top Bottom