Can chickens and ducks get along?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickens2009, Jan 31, 2011.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    What I am trying to find out is can I keep chickens and ducks together in the same coop?

2. little rooster owner

little rooster owner Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    I do.. I have my call duck in the coop with my 12 chickens they are all doing fine...

3. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    I wouldnt see why not

4. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Do I need to make any adjustments from the regular chicken coop? I have my feeder and water hanging and the nest boxes are about 2 ft of the groung. Will they be ok to eat and drink like this and what about egg laying?

5. sandracollins

sandracollins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    I have six cAll ducks in with my 17 chickens I got a big dog kennel for the ducks but after the fifth night of chasing the ducks around for half an hour to get them into the kennel I gave up and they all put themselves to bed in the coop. They all get along fine and we have one drake Lance who thinks he is a chicken and will have nothing to do with the ducks:)

6. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    My Muscovy duck sleeps in my coop if I let him. He does pull out the tail feathers of my Roos though. Remember other ducks need to dunk their heads in water, so they are messy.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

For a while, my Cayuga pair slept in the chicken coop, but after a while, they declined to go into the coop by the time the auto door closed. I left the A-frame coop open (nobody slept in there) for them to go into, and they did for a while, but when I closed it at night they got unhappy. So I left it open after that... and they stopped going in there to sleep. Now they patrol the whole yard, front and back, and even wander over to the land-lady's house during the night. They have NEVER used the duck house I built especially for them, either. But they range with the chickens just fine. I have a kiddie pool for them (from which all the poultry drink) in the back yard and trough in the front yard, too. They have plenty of places with deep water to dunk their heads, as well as to splash all over. They just don't sleep inside any structure.

Now I have four call ducks, and they don't like their duck house, either. They sleep UNDER it.

But the chickens and ducks get along just fine.

8. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Great news! Now I just need to decide on what breed of ducks to get. Any suggestions and why?

9. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Haven't you ever seen "Friends"? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by