1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens and ducks have milk?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happyhens44, Feb 12, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I don't know if this is a dumb question or not. But lately Ive been giving them left over table scraps etc. And To prevent another egg bound hen I got told they should have plenty of celcium (sp?) just wondering if a little milk is the right way to go? or no [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Milk, yogurt, cheese, etc are all good in moderation, just like almost everything else. For a more feedable calcuim you can check at the feed store for crushed oyster shell and just keep some in a dish in the coop for them to free-feed.

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    thanks [​IMG]

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If they are getting too much, watch for scours and increased flatulence. I do not think they can handle lactose very well. Crows and starlings certainly can not.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    *giggles picturing a crow farting it's way across the sky*

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens like all birds lack the ability to digest lactose.

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/dairy.html

As the other commenter noted, lactose is likely to pass through the chicken's system essentially undigested, and that can cause gas, too. Milk is not the best thing to use to supplement calcium for your chickens. Crushed oyster shell is much better, inexpensive, and readily available for poultry use. Check at your feed store.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In the birds I have experience with, flatulence is not a normal process. When the posterior digestive tract is distended with gas, it may interfere with how the bird respiratory tract handles air, thus reduces the birds ability to breath properly.

8. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    I believe I read somewhere that birds do better with yoghurt, kefir, etc than milk itself. My girls get yoghurt, and 2 of 3 love it. They also get egg shell offered for calcium. Today they had some cheese that was leftover from lunch. I think i have the calcium angle covered.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Most of the lactose is likely transformed by fermentation to make those dairy products.

10. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I wont give them milk, But us there a special type of yogurt they should have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by