Can Chickens and Ducks Live together?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Diana B, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Diana B

Diana B Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2016
    That is my Question.

2. julieholt

julieholt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2016
    i have a chicken that lives with my two duck they were raised together from 8+ weeks old and they are fine the chicken does tend to get her food first then the ducks can have theirs. sorry im not more helpful

3. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    Yes they can. I have ducks and chickens that free range togeather. I do have seperate coops for them because there is not enough room in one coop for them all. The ducks are messier with their water then chickens. I do not put a water bowl in the duck coop at all. Sometimes to if you brood them togeather you will have a male duck that wants to mate with the hens. That can kill the chicken. As long as I don't brood the ducks with the chickens I have never had a problem with the male ducks wanting to mate with a hen.

4. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Another yes from me. The chickens are dominant, and you have to make sure you don't have one duck/chicken that constantly picks on the others, but other than that, they tolerate each other quite well. If they're raised as babies together that would help a lot also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by