Can chickens and ducks live together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Allie Grace Sanders, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Allie Grace Sanders

Allie Grace Sanders Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    My baby chicks came in. Two died. I wanted to replace them with a feed store chicks. But I don't want 6 more chickens. Can baby ducks and baby chickens live together? I would absolutely love a couple ducks, though. Can I put them in the same brooder? Thanks in advance!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Ducks are messy and wet, chicks need to stay dry so they are best brooded separately to avoid problems.

Allie Grace Sanders likes this.
  3. livnandlvn

livnandlvn In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2018
    My adult dumps did not play well with my chickens. The drake accostedy hens, and tired their combs so badly that the ducks got rehomed to the pond across the street. Just my experience though.

4. Allie Grace Sanders

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    Ok, can I brood them in a plastic tote?

EDIT: I use a heat lamp

5. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I presently have 4 chicks and 3 ducks in a brooder. 4 chicks and one duck came home the same day and two ducks two days later. I have learned slot in the last couple days. I learned that ducks are messy if water is involved. The first night I made the mistake of leaving the water in the brooder over night. Oh boy what a mess in the am. So last night I put the ducks in the bath tub and let thrm play for an hour. Cleaned up the brooder. Dried them off and within 1 hour all were sleeping cuddled together. In the am, no mess and happy chicks and ducks that ate breakfast out if my hand.

Don't know what I was thinking when I listened to the guy at the store when they recommended this large metal dish for them because that is clearly not going to work. So now I'm trying to figure out how to build an extended run to the coop so they have an area where a small pool can go. Not sure how this will work in the winter because I'm pretty sure they will need this all year round. I'm not feeling comfortable leaving them in the extended coop(with chicken wire as a cover) when I'm at work all day. I do come home at lunch and I can check on them, but I'm still very nervous about it.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    A plastic tote can work for duckling if you are worried about wetness. It won't keep any chicks kept with them dry, nor their feed.

7. Allie Grace Sanders

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    Also, they will all end up living together. What is the best breed to get along with chickens, can't fly, and has lower food consumption, and lays a good amount of eggs?

8. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    tge video I have is to big, tomorrow I will get a shorter clip of them in the tub. They remind me of otters in the tub.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Often when ducks and chickens are kept together drakes may try mating chicken hens and cause damage in doing so. Brooding the species together can make that scenario more likely as species end up thinking they are all the same. It's always best to keep them separately.

10. Chickygirl63

Chickygirl63 Songster

Feb 11, 2018
    I had ducks and pullets in a pen together last year...the ducks played in the kiddies pool and pullets stayed away except to get a drink...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: