1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens and finches live together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DDRanch, Jul 13, 2008.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I have a friend who wants to get a few hens and house them with finches. He thinks the finches would live in the upper area of the coop and pen and the chickens could live at the bottom.

Can they live together?

Anne

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I see no reason why not. There has to be plenty of space for each. Even if the finches feed on the ground, they are fast enough to get away from the hens.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    havent seen it with chickens yet, but with quail. So i guess it could be ok,the only thing that concerns me is the chickens roosting at night.

4. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I think he may be thinking of each having their own roosting space, certainly the hens inside the coop. I would imagine that the finches would be a lot higher up. He is a fabulous contractor/builder, so I imagine this coop build will be spectacular.

I have encouraged him to join BYC and get to know you folks. I have done my part.....(ha ha) talked enough about my hens to inspire someone to get some.

Anne

5. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Connie,
    Please tell me what concerns do you have about the chickens roosting at night?

Anne

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I wouldn't think there would be any problem either.

Finches are very small and fast birds, so they could easily get away from the chickens if they got too close. You could hang their food at a much higher height than the chicken food, and the chickens would happily clean up any spills or billing out of the seed that finches do.

As far as roosting at night - I wouldn't think them sharing a roost might be a good idea, but finches would need very small roosts - like a tree branch or 1/4" or smaller dowel rods.

Chickens need a much larger roost - like a 2" or larger. Again, I don't think finches would roost on the chicken roost, and if you designed it right, chickens would never try to roost on something as small as at 1/4' branch.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:i guess they might jump up to the branches ment for the finches and the branches could break under their weight . Other than that its fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by