Can chickens and pigeons live together?

you can but you have to have perches and shelves up high so the pigeon can get away from the chickens if need be
smile.png

Mine live together just fine - even with eggs.

I have a 4 x 4 chicken barn that opens onto a large covered flight area (8 X 8) with a small rabbit hutch attached to it. I put a 'cliff' in the covered area of the flight for the pigeons. There is also a nice hanging box on the cliff perfect for pigeon nesting. The little barn henhouse has a higher perch that runs it's length and a lower one that runs across it, plus a chicken nestbox off the ground.

I have five hens and 3 doves. The doves around 6 months old, the hens four months. The hens are a buff orprington, a dominique, a barred rock and two silver lace wynodottes. All are known as non-aggressive birds.

The hens sleep on the high perch, the doves usually on the lower. No problem. Sometimes during the day they all sprawl out together in the sun on a hay bale.

When my young foolish dove first decided to nest on the floor of the henhouse I was very concerned (and got good advice from this forum). She sat those eggs (without much help from her mate) for 3 weeks without being harassed by the hens. The eggs got damp and did not hatch, but were never bothered. eVen when she abandoned the nest and pushed the eggs out, the hens didn't touch it. I did make very sure the hens were always well fed and they have a big place to run and free range at least a while every day.

She's now on her second nest - sensibly nesting in the DRY rabbit hutch. She has made a lovely nest of chicken feathers and they never bother her.

The doves strut around the chickens, occasionally pecking them on the bottom when they get too close. The hens occasionally run at the doves. But they've been fine together, despite the size disparity. I do think the high cliff for the doves is helpful, as is the rabbit hutch the chickens rarely bother with, even when it's empty.

I am actually very happy the chickens and doves are roosting together in the henhouse, as I think it will be much warmer for all of them in the winter.

why would you raise chickens and pigeons together? but yet you wouldnt put quale in with chickens.

Someone wants to give me two young pigeons. Can they live in a covered chicken coop with chickens? I have 66 trips around the sun. I have been raising birds for decades. You will have problems chickens are little dinosars meat eaters, opportunist, and will eat just about anything. My experience is give half a chance chickens will eat pigeon eggs, squabs, and any injured pigeon. They also bully any pigeon it comes in contact with.

Save yourself some heartache petition an area off with chicken wire in your coop to house pigeons. with a a trap to serve as their own private entrance.

If that is not feasible check out this link maybe you will see something that may meet your requirements and budget:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=pige...ved=0ahUKEwid49nZr5nPAhUW3YMKHcKHC94Q_AUICCgB

Mine live together just fine - even with eggs. TRUST ME! You will find this fancier is the exception "NOT" the rule.

Last edited:
I am quoted as saying mine lived together without problem. That was true. Until they didn't.

One of my hens got broody. The pigeons had been nesting nearby. She killed three of them in 3 days and ripped open the breast of a fourth. That very tough bird was actually sewed up by a vet. She went on to became the matriarch of my whole flock and was hit and lived through two hawk attacks.

But we built a separate coop right after that. I would not house them together again. Though Bellana the injured pigeon still loves chicken food and at all chances will risk the swipes of the chickens to steal their food when she's loose and the chickens are running free.

Agree with most people here.

Better not mix them.

Adult pigeons and none aggressive chickens in a LARGE area will be OK.

But don't allow pigeons to breed in same coop as chickens. Chicken will kill and eat the pigeon squabs, attack and injure adult pigeons who are trying to defend their nests, and make the poor pigeons life hell.

Back
Top Bottom