1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens and rabbits eat onions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HollidaySmith, Oct 8, 2011.

1. HollidaySmith

HollidaySmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Peru, Indiana
    I was at the day old bread store today and bought the chicken farmers pack (large shopping cart full of bread for $5) but it had a lot of onion buns. Can chickens and/or rabbits eat onions? Thanks in advance for posting a reply. :eek:)

2. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    If your chickens are laying and they eat onion (or garlic) it can affect the taste of their eggs - and not in a good way. What about cutting up the onion bread into cubes for use as croutons or stuffing or putting it in a food processor to make bread crumbs to bread chicken or pork chops with? Or you can freeze it for later use for these same purposes...

3. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Onions are poisonous to chickens

4. HollidaySmith

HollidaySmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Peru, Indiana
    Thanks. I'll put them in the dehydrator and use them for stuffing. Wasn't sure and they are not on the poison list or edible snack list so i wasn't sure. [​IMG]

5. LucynPecker

LucynPecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2013
    Athens, Tx
    Oh my! I just read about onions after I chopped up the compost of left over onion greens and root ends. It's been a few hours, what should I be looking for?

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    x2. They contain thiosulphate which kills red blood cells. Note that garlic does not contain this and is fine and healthy to feed chickens.

7. LucynPecker

LucynPecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2013
    Athens, Tx
    Thank you. They only had a small amount between 24 of them. I'll sure not do it again. :)

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I cook the onions first and then the chickens will eat the onions ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by