can chickens and rabbits live together?

phoenix912

Songster
8 Years
Jan 7, 2012
Indiana
We have chicken's and rabbit's. Right now they are in separate runs. One of our bunny's gave us baby's this morning. A friend is giving us an old shed. We are going to turn it into a chicken house. We was going to combine the two runs so both could use the housing. What will happen if both chickens and rabbit's are together? Right now they share a wall of the fence.

I have 5 chickens and 3 rabbits. They are not housed together, rabbits live in their hutch and the chickens have their coop&run. I do let them out in the yard together.They all get along fine when everybody is out and about in the yard. But since rabbits are diggers, I find that the rabbits go into the chicken run area and dig large holes(actually they are more like tunnels) that I am constanly filling back in. I think they like the feel of the sand. Last year when we were building the run we didn't have the rabbits yet. And now thinking back when I had had 2 rabbits years back (but no chickens then ) they were not diggers, they had run of my yard during the day and they rarely dug holes. This spring/summer we are doing modifications to the yard so everybody can live happily( and have no escapees)-chickens, rabbits and turtles.

My rabbits are in the same building, but they are in cages.

I had a rabbit loose and he attacked and injured my ducks. So if you want to try it, pay close attention and be ready to separate.

Thanks for the replies. Not sure what we are going to do yet. Our other rabbit gave us 6 more babies. The rabbits are my bf's. The chicken's are mine. I kinda feel sorry for his bunny's but not really. I might just take over the whole thing for my chicken's. L.O.L.

It makes a difference whether you have one pet rabbit (as I do) or if you are raising your rabbits for meat or show. One rabbit can live quite happily with a flock - if you set it up right. See my FAQ http://www.hencam.com/henblog/rabbits-and-chickens/ and watch the rabbit live on www.HenCam.com. But, intact male rabbits do sometimes try to mount hens (!) and I wouldn't trust chickens around baby rabbits (chickens to eat mice.) So, it's really a situational answer.

The chickens will kill and eat the baby bunnies. My flock found a wild rabbits nest and started killing them.

One is a going to be a show rabbit. The other two were meat rabbits. He wasn't ready to cull them yet when we got them. We've had them about a month. That's how we ended up with baby's. They were all supposed to be males.

Back
Top Bottom