can chickens and turkeys be happy living in the same pen??

Americano Blue

Make everyday count
6 Years
Apr 14, 2014
(Insert Something Sarcastic)
My Coop
My Coop
so here is my problem. I have 7 hens, 2 ducks, and a turkey chick. so I'm wondering can I put my turkey with the chickens and ducks when he is to big for the brooder and ready to go outside? And how do I introduce them. I over reacted
th.gif
when there are fights so the method with possible blood shed would work best.

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock. I have never had turkeys before. If they are raised together, they should get along fine. To introduce them, let them free range together for a little bit. Put them in pens that are next to one another, so that they can get sued to seeing each other.

If Turkey turns out to be a boy, he shouldn't be with the chickens. Without a turkey mate, he would go after the chicken hens and likely kill them through his breeding attempts.

As said hens are fine. Generally they won't harm one another. A gobbler will kill chicken hens trying to mate with them. They stand on them and they smother.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Turkeys need high protein feed. Babies need something like 28% gamebird or turkey feed. So you will need to brood him separately. Stop by our turkey section here on BYC for more info on raising him...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys

Good luck with your new babies and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice above, good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC. As others have said there id the possibility of problems when mixing species. Very sadly flock integrations generally result in some bloodshed - poultry society can be quite cruel.

Back
Top Bottom