Can chickens be caged with Peafowl?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Knock Kneed Hen, May 26, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I've been thinking about asking a neighbor who used to have chickens if she wants a few of mine because it's taking so long to get the run built. She has a pair of Peafowl already. She may have three because they had a chick last year and I'm not sure she's found home for it yet. The neighbor has a nice coop about 6 x 8 and a pen that is about 8 x 8. Seems to me that it might be too small to add three chickens, assuming you can keep them all together.

What do you think?

2. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Well your neighbor can still get some of your chickens, but give them (the neighbor) time to build a coop for them first as anyone will tell you its just not smart to add in chickens with established peafowl.

3. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

ive tried to keep other birds with peafowl, and Ive had NO luck... the peafowl alwasy bully the chickens and pluck them...

4. Pampered Chicken

Pampered Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    Do you have to keep peafowl penned once they know where they live? If they are from peachicks will they still become agressive to the chicken's?

5. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

if they are free range animals.. they will get along fine... if there penned up.. it may be a problem...

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Ours share a common area and do fine, the pea's actually rule the roost. If you tried to put them in to small of an area I could see problems from that.

Steve

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Trouble is with harm to the peafowl from disease that chicken carry.(blackhead) chicken can be carriers without harm to them.Keeping them wormed would help.

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

"blackhead" has to be present in the soil for the birds to get it. If you do a search on blackhead there are more cases on BYC each year than are reported to the USDA for the entire USA. I do agree that it can be passed from chickens but it's not given as people say.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by