Can chickens be hot???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by huevosfritos, Jun 12, 2008.

1. huevosfritos

huevosfritos Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    My 24 chickens are 3 months old. They are growing pretty fast and look very healthy. The roosters are crowing (or trying to) and the girls are very active... but I have noticed that sometimes they seem to breath a little heavier than usual keeping their beaks open. Are they hot or should I be worried?
    I read about a parasite that affects the respiratory system causing birds to gasp for air...
    To me, they just seem to be hot. ????????????
    thanks
    victoria

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Yes, birds get hot. They pant to help cool off. Also they hold the wings up a little to let some air under them.

Not sure where you are, but extreme heat can easily kill a bird. A good mud hole for them to walk, scratch, or sit in helps.

Matt

3. huevosfritos

May 5, 2008
    thanks!!! Yes, it's hot here in Texas. Their coop is pretty big. I shaded it by throwing pine needles on the roof and they also have a 10x20 covered and fenced space filled with hay where they spend most part of the day, eating bugs, running and flying... they're spoiled [​IMG]
    thanks again for your replay, it gave me piece of mind [​IMG]
    victoria

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes they do indeed get hot and pant...They need lots of shade and fresh water on those kinds of days too......

5. huevosfritos

May 5, 2008
    i forgot, that's a pretty speckled sussex you have there [​IMG]. Mine has a very curious personality. When he was little, was always by himself wandering around the garage. I named him (her at the time since I didn't know what IT was) Lufthansa, like the airline... The other night I took him inside the house to look at him closely because it appeared to me he was stumbling a little. I guess he got into a fight with one of the rooster?...2 days later he was doing ok but now he doesn't sleep with the rest of the gang. Maybe he's not allowed in by the other roosters? Hum...I really enjoy observing my animals...they are incredible!!!
    thanks again!
    victoria

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Due to the recent eastern US heat wave, there are a few current threads on BYC with all kinds of good info about how to keep feathered friends more comfortable in the heat.
    JJ

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

More chickens die from the heat than the cold, so you need to try and make them as cool as possible.

8. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    We live in Northern CA and it was up to 102 a few weeks ago... My chickies were panting and trying to cool off with dirt. I filled a shallow pan with water and they were in there wading, drinking and such. They also seem to like a frozen 2 liter bottle of water (got the suggestion here) to sit on/near.

9. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jackysmama.....what great suggestions! It's suppose to be in the triple digits today and I've been worried about my girls. I've been giving them fresh water a couple of times per day with ice cubes to cool it off. But the pan of water and frozen 2-liter is perfect. Thanks! [​IMG]

10. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Dh even set up a mister in our coop. It hasn't been needed but once the temps rise here in Ca again it will be on.

Matt A NC~ As for the mud hole.....Can i just turn the hose on in the corner of there run and get the ground wet? Would they like that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by