Can chickens be raised like Kobe beef?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tharrell, Feb 22, 2009.

1. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    My husband and I came up with an experiment for this spring. We thought we could buy a few chicks at a day old, and raise half of them traditionally, and spoil the other half much like Kobe beef is raised, all the way with massages and special food. I'm sure this is ridiculous, but has anyone ever tried this, or do you think it might make a difference in the way the meat tastes? Thanks!!!

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Can I stand in as one of your chickens on the Kobe side? It sounds lovely! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I'm not sure whether a Kobe chicken is possible, but in England you can buy chicken that has only been fed corn, and they look and taste quite different. The skin is yellow. I don't know whether corn fed chicken is available here, we're lucky if you can even find a whole chicken in our grocery store!

ETA Don't they feed the Wagyu cattle beer? It's probably cheaper than chicken feed these days!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  4. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Yes, they do give them beer. We also saw on TV the other day someone giving their pigs beer. My husband said he would be more than happy to go and find a great beer for them, LOL!!!

5. plreef

plreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    Nothing beats a drunk chicken, just don't let them drive. LOL

Let us know how it works out. Sounds interesting.

6. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    My theory is, I'll drink the beer then eat the chicken.

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Yep, it must be a North East Ohio thing.......... me too.

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:The only thing that crosses my mind is, are they going to be free ranged? That is part of spoiling and if that is the case wont they be tough? Just a thought. I could be wrong. Prove it can be done and invite me over for some beer and Kobe chicken (in that order)[​IMG]

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I think they will have little goggles they put on for a few hours a day, hooked up to a simulator and they can do a "virtual free range" session to have the sensation of getting out there and having a ball.

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Really? I wouldn't think that straight corn would be enough nutrients for meat birds...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by