Can chickens be sanitized?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CALI CHICK, Dec 4, 2011.

1. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Songster

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    My three 15-week-old chickens were part of a "Petting Farm" last night for a couple of hours. They were petted and held by ???...LOTS of people, mostly kids! I'm worried if they could contract anything from a sick kid? Their was sanitizing gel at the exits for the people, but what about my chickens?????????? When we got home after 9PM, they were just too ready to get in their coop and finally get some sleep, so I didn't even wipe them down with water - plus it was chilly. Any advice or thoughts on what-if anything I should do? Thank you [​IMG]

2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Songster

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I think they will be fine. You could add vitamins to their water and maybe some garlic for and immune booster.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

Let them go to bed and stop worrying....if chickens could get sick from people's germs, none of you chicken huggers would have a flock left! [​IMG] The chance that one of those people brought your chickens some dire disease from their own flock is practically nil. Rest easy! [​IMG]

4. FiveHens

FiveHens Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    I doubt that many diseases can be passed from humans to chickens. I wouldn't worry. After all, we don't worry about passing our colds to our dogs, and they're mammals!

5. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Songster

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    They were alive and well this morning and eagerly gobbled down the special breakfast I made them. (organic, plain oatmeal, cornmeal, wheat berries, corn & peas with a little milk and even a drizzle of molasses) Also, I do add garlic to their water...the RIR especially likes to pick out the little pieces.

It was great to see the joy on the little kids' faces who held (or touched) a chicken for the first time! Even many adults couldn't believe how soft and calm they were. Plus, it was probably good for the chickens and my son to practice their showmanship and people skills for 4H. Thank you for the responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by