can chickens become afraid fo the dark?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjoos99, Oct 13, 2016.

1. jjoos99

jjoos99 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    I got my flock this spring and the coop I built for them has 2 large windows the can be closed off for the cold weather. We have been having cooler nights and I have started to keep the windows shut. I now have 3 silly chickens laying/roosting right next to the exit door from the coop out to the enclosed run. I am guessing for the light that comes in the opening. these birds never seem to amaze me as to how goofy and quirky they can be. You think those 3 girls are somewhat afraid of the darker coop? They have always roosted up on the roost perch I built for them all summer long.
    thanks
    Jeff

2. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    No idea if chickens are afraid of the dark but maybe they can't see the roost to jump up on it.
    Why not add some very dim light above the roost, just enough for them so they can get up.

I use a 4 watt led bulb on a timer, my little coop can get dark also.
    Mine goes off at 8:30, they're usually roosting by 8.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto on them not being able to see.
    I take it the 'windows' do not have glass in them?

It's good to have natural light in the coop during winter.......
    and I hope you still have adequate ventilation.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  4. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I had the exact same problem with my new flock - they'd be out playing in the run and then when it was time to come in, the coop was darker than it was in the run. Two nights they got caught outside in the run when the autodoor shut.

I solved it like PingoBags did...with a timer and a small LED light. Goes on around 5:30 pm and turns off about 7:30 pm. Worked like a charm. Just remember to change the settings every month or so with the daylight getting shorter each day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  5. bdowns73

bdowns73 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Kevil, KY
    We have 7 1/2 week old chicks and put them in the coop about 2 weeks ago. I noticed one night about a week ago they went into the coop and made really weird noises. I didn't have a light on at the time. I turned on a flashlight and they were crawling all over each other in a corner. I went to get a light and they acted normal when the light was on. So we turn on a light every night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by