1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens change feather color when they grow?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenPollo, Aug 31, 2014.

1. ChickenPollo

ChickenPollo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Madrid/Dubai
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask if chickens can change the colour of their feathers when they grow. It's just because I suspect that I have Spanish Andalusian chickens and they are supposed to be sort of this grey color with black borders on their feathers, and I have two that are black and one is yellow! Does somebody know about this?

2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Yes they can, I have a breed that will change colors about 4 times before they stop at adulthood. But I don't know about your specific breed

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  3. ChickenPollo

Aug 30, 2014
    Madrid/Dubai
    Thanks for the info:) I'll just wait until adulthood to figure out about my breed.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    With any blue variety in chickens, like your andalusians, you will end up with black, blue, and splash colored offspring when you breed two blue parents together. Sounds like you have a splash chick and either two black ones or very dark blue. Good luck with them.

5. ChickenPollo

Aug 30, 2014
    Madrid/Dubai
    Thanks. I am not sure if my hens egg will hatch when they grow. I hope the hens get broody and make them hatch. I really want to have chicks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by