Can chickens count??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kkwinwy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. kkwinwy

kkwinwy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    I have a few questions for the experienced chicken keepers here. My little frizzle Cochin hen went broody 3 weeks ago, so I ordered some fertile eggs. I received 6 eggs, and gave her 2, and put 4 in an incubator. I candled the eggs today (14 days), and the 4 in the incubator are looking good. (Well, 2 are black copper Marans, so it's pretty hard to see, but as far as I can tell, look good.) One of the two under the hen looks good (now, this is my first time candling eggs so I'm hopeful but by no means certain), and the other I'm not so sure of...
    First question: if an egg is going to go rotten and explode, will I be able to smell it first? They all smell fine, but I'm not sure one of the ones under the hen is developing.
    Second question: Even though she's only had two eggs under her, could I give her the chicks from the incubator eggs? If I sneak them under her backwards? Or will she "know" that she's only supposed to have 2 chicks tops?
    Next question: Now my other bantam Cochin hen has gone broody. Could I try giving her chicks, even though she won't have been broody for the full 21 days ahead of them hatching? Or will she also know that something funky is up? :)
    Can't wait for you all to weigh in!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The recommendation is not to put newly hatched chicks under a broody hen, unless she has been setting solidly on the nest for about 2 weeks. It may work if you do it earlier, but success is more likely if you leave her on fake eggs for 2 weeks first. Then, the chicks you set under her should be newly hatched.

Your broody hen will most likely accept the chicks from your bator. This is what I might try in your situation: I'd wait until three days before hatch, and then sneak the eggs from the bator under her. That way, she can hatch them all at the same time. Can you candle her ?able egg again to determine if it's got a live chick in it? Perhaps at the same time you're moving the bator eggs under her?

Regarding: if an egg that is not developing will explode. I can't answer that.

I wish you the best of luck. How exciting for you!

3. kkwinwy

Jan 26, 2015
    Thank you! I had considered that, but wondered what she might think when she goes from 2 eggs to 5 or 6. Thank you for the advice!

4. kkwinwy

Jan 26, 2015
    Well, it's day 18, and I bit the bullet and put the bator eggs under the hens! Fingers crossed this all goes well! Hen #1 has 3 Black tailed buff Japanese bantam eggs, and hen #2 has two black copper Marans eggs. Candled all - still can't see anything in the Marans eggs except the good air pockets. Just too dark. The bantam eggs all had moving chicks! Wish us luck...

5. kkwinwy

Jan 26, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Just have to share my darling new arrivals... Ordered eggs off of eBay for a broody hen. Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantams. They're so tiny!!

6. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    Fun and Congrats! looks like she kept at the setting for long enough.

7. kkwinwy

Jan 26, 2015
    Had a Marans egg under the second broody hen and it hatched this morning, and she's loving it too. :)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by