can chickens decide when not to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rosyposyosy, Sep 6, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    she may be hiding her eggs, but i looked everywhere. she is mad at me for switching to shavings, so now i have switched back to straw. can she be picky? can she choose not to lay?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Nope, she cant make that decision. Have you raked through the shaveings? Thats why I dont use them, eggs tend to "get lost" in the shaveings. I use straw...once they shape the nest, nothing rolls out. LOL Might be there is a snake in there getting them? Be carefull! Also, she should be moulting right about now....maybe egg production is slowing down a bit.

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    she isnt squating anymore - like if i approach her? i am absolutely sure it is not a snake, the only snake i have everseen was a gardner snake left over by an owl (we have a family of owls in one of our oaks) when i switched back to straw i put the shavings (untouched at all) into my chick's brooder which is in the coop now that shes older - and there were no eggs. she went from laying an egg a day for 13 days, to no eggs in 4 days - when i picked her up today she had NO pin feathers at all, so i dont think shes molting...

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmmmmm, thats quite puzzling. Have you checked her tummy, to make sure it is not hard? Might she be eggbound? Maybe she is just taking a break? Hope she starts laying soon for ya.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by