1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens develop arthritis or rheumatism?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blackberry18, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    One of my hens always acts as though she has a broken leg in the morning, but after a few seconds of stumbling around, she's able to get up. I think she might have pain when she flys down from the roost in the morning, which is my fault because I put her up there, so she won't be cold. Should I just let her sleep on the floor? I posted another thread asking about her sickness, and someone suggested that she have arthritis or rheumatism, if that exists in chickens. How can I help her? See this thread for full details: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1024004/5-1-2-year-old-hen-sick-new-food#post_15897277

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Maybe your roost is too high, and she has sprained her leg. How high are they? Check the bottom of her footpads to look for evidence of bumblefoot (a dark spot and swelling) and look over her leg joints for swelling.

3. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    The roost is about four feet high. I don't think she has done anything like that, for she can walk fine after a few minutes, as I mentioned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by