Can chickens die from grief or depression?

mrscrabtree92

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
About a week ago we lost one of my hens none of them have been sick but it was raining really bad and we found her early one morning on her back in the run. Well we have another hen who was her best friend. They never left each others side always together they were inseparable. After that one died the other started acting weird. Almost like it was depressed and a few days later we found her dead one evening. Can they die from grief or depression or could have been something else?

This sounds like a something else issue. Bad feed, poison and parasites are what I would look into first. Deathloss of an entire brood can cause a hen to make bad decisions with respect to predators.

We treated for cocci but none of them are showing any sign of sickness. We believe the first one might have drowned. But the 2nd one sh was fine a few hours before she passed away

Rapid death like that I have seen with poison or vitamins, especially the B vitamins being out of wack. The poison need not involve something special, rather it could come from moldy feed. How old is the feed? What does it look like, especially at bottom bag?

We keep the feed in a metal container and it's fresh not moldy or anything. But I have noticed alot of ants in the coop run and feed

Right up front, discard the feed and get fresh.

Where is your metal feed container located, possibly in the direct sun?

Even if you feed is stored properly, you could have gotten a bad batch from your mill or supplier? I have dealt with that issue especially where supplier does not sell a lot of feed or they repage it for selling in smaller allotments for parties with smaller flocks.

Can you see run / manufacture date on the original feed sack?

It is out in the sun. The feeder in their run is not however and we do not have the bag anymore we just poured the feed into the can

It is out in the sun. The feeder in their run is not however and we do not have the bag anymore we just poured the feed into the can

The being in the sun very likely cooked you vitamins. Vitamins out of balance, especially the B-vitamins can kill as you describe in original post. Usually birds look less than thrifty / healthy and go out of lay before just kicking bucket like you described. I would get some chick starter for hens, a small bag will do, to get them back on track. After a couple days of that, then give them some fresh layer feed or flock raiser.

Get that feed container in the shade. If you cannot, then cover it with a piece of plywood so that a shadow is cast over it and sun does not hit lid directly.

Thanks! We were planning on going to ts today so I'll get some. What else could I feed them that will help during the summer. I want to make my own scratch one for winter and one for summee

Back
Top Bottom