Can chickens drink from gerbil/hamster water bottle?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yolk-a-motive, Aug 22, 2013.

1. yolk-a-motive

yolk-a-motive Out Of The Brooder

Has anyone tried this?
    I think Ill give it a try

2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    It should work similar the a nipple system, Let us know.

3. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Buy the time their a month old you'll be filling them 3 or 4 times daily, you need something bigger!

4. missy_cbell21

missy_cbell21 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    I went to tractor supply co and bought the 32 oz. rabbit water bottles. I have 4 white leghorns that are about 4 months old and they go through almost one bottle a day. I also feed fermented feed with a bit of extra water in it so that may cut down on their water intake some. If you go this route just be sure to check them daily for dripping or hang an extra bottle in case.

5. yolk-a-motive

yolk-a-motive Out Of The Brooder

I think my chickens are inept. They try putting their whole beak around it and then give up.... : (

6. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Quote: They aren't made or designed to water chickens. You need to be using something that is designed to be a waterer for chickens and then you will have much better results.

Simply do a google search or ebay search for chicken waterer and you will find lots and lots of the correct options. Do the search before you go to the store so you will know what to shop for and don't let the sales person point you to the rabbit waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by