1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens eat bamboo?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jeremy, Dec 20, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I have 3 large clumps of bamboo (unknown variety) growing in my backyard... don't ask me how, they were here when I bought the place.

Can my chickens eat it? I thought about hacking it down and feeding it to them as a green treat, the only other thing that's really green here right now is all the ivy I've got covering my property... and they won't touch that... [​IMG]

Anyways, experts? Does anybody know what type of bamboo this is, if it's toxic and if it'll be okay for me to feed to my chickens?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sorry about the blurred images, the photos were taken with my phone.)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    This is not a bump. [​IMG]

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Bamboo is a type of grass and is eaten by people so I would think that your chickens could eat it if they like it.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Young and tender sprout and leaf tips they might eat, but bamboo gets to be pretty woody fairly fast. I don't think they'd be interested in that unless they were starving.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My chickens do not eat my bamboo, just play in it. I use the leaves in the run.

But I sometime cut a branch and bring it inside for the cats. It gives them a case of the kitty crazies. And they will bing and purge on it.

Imp

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Its a grass so yes they can eat it. It is feed for cows all over the world. You may have to run it threw a chipper/shredder an wet it to get them to eat it.

Humans eat the sprouts before the break the ground.

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks guys! I wasn't really thinking they could eat the stalks... [​IMG] But the leafy parts of the plants. It seems like it grows insanely fast, so I figure if I cut it to the ground, throw it to the chickens, then let it replenish itself it could be a great treat for them each time it grows!

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I have some bamboo in my yard similar to yours and my chickens will peck at it a little and then ignore it. They don't really like it... they prefer leaves from bushes and such. And you shouldn't assume they'll like it because you feed it to them... picky chickens.

9. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    It would be a shame to hack it down or feed it to your chickens. Bamboo is such a wonderful and useful plant. I would LOVE to grow it up here in Ohio (but in the North it is very difficult to get established).

I say leave it, learn to appreciate it, and enjoy it! (but I'm jealous, so my opinion is biased).

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    By the time it gets as large as that in the picture, I don't think your chickens are going to care for it much. We have bamboo growing all around our yard and unless the shoot is only a few inches tall, my chickens don't bother with it. The leaves on the taller boles must not be to their liking.

I do cut some bamboo branches to hang in the cage of our indoor parrots. They do enjoy chewing on the leaves but don't really seem to be eating ...just chewing and dropping the leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by