Can Chickens eat canned Vegetables?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tazzer01, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Tazzer01

Tazzer01 New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    I have a bunch of canned black eyed peas that was given to me, I don't eat them and was wondering can I feed them to my chickens? I also would like to know about any other canned vegetables.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yes. The only thing to worry about might be the added salt. Since it is only a occasional thing I wouldn't worry about that. That goes for most other canned foods.

3. Tazzer01

Tazzer01 New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    I thought it would be ok, I may run them under some water to rinse off some of the extra salt. Thanks

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Unless the cans are the pull tab kind they might not be able to open the cans but other than that I don't see a problem.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Absolutely, they can eat it. They will love it and they will come running when they see you come out into the yard.

[​IMG]

6. Kristen5894

Kristen5894 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Wildomar
    Haha![​IMG]

7. carypeterson

carypeterson New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    Woods Cross, UT
    lol, chickens seem to eat anything and everything even dinner scraps to grass and bugs.

8. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Mine today had some baby carrots (used a food processor), cooked tater, rice , and pick chop. Oddly enough, they all fought for the pork chop first and rice last. I figured it would be the other way lol

9. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

...well?

It's been a bit over 3 days now, how'd they like it?

Pictures?

Mosh pit?

10. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

People worry to much about the salt, it's an essential nutrient that they need and for it to do any real harm it has to be taken in copious amounts every day, amounts that are highly unlikely in any food that is palatable... The salt in canned vegetables is likely no worse then chickens in coastal areas scratching around the salt saturated soil at then end of the day...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by