Can chickens eat my tea leaves?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stone_family3, Mar 12, 2013.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I drink a lot of tea and usually toss the tea leaves into the compost, wondering if I can dump them in the fermented feed bucket instead. The top five types of tea I drink are lavender, sassafras, red clover, chai, and darjeeling.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I don't know anything about fermented feed. Most of whatever is in the tea leaves is gone after steeping. Toss them in there and see what happens.

My chickens eat most anything leftover from human food preparation.

Chris

3. Mom2Sav

Mom2Sav Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Did you end up feeding your tea leaves to the chickens? I buy loose organic tea and was wondering the same thing. I guess it can't hurt. I'm going to give it a try but was wondering if you had good success.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    There would be no food value in the tea leaves. Depending on what kind of tea it is, they would be getting a lot of tannins from the leaves. Not good for feed, IMO. better to put them in the compost where they will do some good.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Tea leaves and coffee grounds are NOT chicken food!!! Neither are tea or coffee. Mary

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I forgot to add chocolate! Mary

7. MysteriaSdrassa

MysteriaSdrassa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Central Wisconsin
    Nonscence,,, chicken food is whatever a chicken will eat,, including grass, bugs, mice, and even snakes

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    There is a difference between putting the tea leaves out in the pen for the chickens to eat or leave or adding them to their fermented feed where they have no option but to eat them and possibly poison themselves or go hungry. Most animals innately know what is good to eat and what not (and may even be toxic), so give them the option to decide. Hungry animals are usually the ones that eat toxic things they shouldn't, so don't put them in that position.
    That would be my thoughts.
    I don't think that it is safe to assume that if something is not toxic to us, it will not be toxic to chickens.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Old thread. Still same answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by