1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Chickens eat NUTS ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by valleyquail, Mar 23, 2011.

1. valleyquail

valleyquail New Egg

Feb 23, 2011
    I have breads that have nuts in it. Nuts are harmful to some animals.
    Can chickens eat nuts. The bread is Oroweat Nutty Grain and Oat Nut.
    Thanks

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I've fed mine the same bread that you mention and they loved it!!

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Mine gets nuts occasionally, never had a problem.
    They'll chase the squirrels off peanuts and eat them, and any shells the squirrels leave behind.

Imp

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I buy peanuts occasionally for a treat for my girls. They BARELY wait for me to crack open the shell before grabbing... [​IMG]

5. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I bought some sunflower seed once and it had all kinds of "stuff" in in including dried fruit and nuts.. they gobbled the stuff so quickly . They now get shelled peanuts once in a while.. I have not had any problems

6. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Some of my girls like them and some don't. They get them a couple of times a week, various kinds, and the same ones will fight over them, the same ones will walk away from them.

7. Lorianna

Lorianna New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    Do you need to break the nuts up, or can the chickens eat them whole? I have nuts left over from Christmas baking, and I really don't need to make more human treats right now!

8. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They likely won't eat them whole, but break them up before swallowing. Remember they have beaks that can cut things up very well. So let them amuse themselves while they eat and save yourself some work.

9. kasie cochran

kasie cochran Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Mine love nuts

10. CuriousChicken

CuriousChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    My Rooster gets all kinds of nuts all the time, I keep unsalted peanuts on hand as treats because they are chalk full of magnesium, selenium, vitamin E and protein. He's never had a problem with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by