1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can chickens eat potatoe peels? what things can they eat and caNT?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frankie5316, Aug 17, 2008.

1. frankie5316

frankie5316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I have lots of veggies i can give my chickens . what cant i give them? and what can i give them

2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

NOOOO! dont feed them raw potato peels! only cooked, they can kill them, here are some things chickens cant eat : raw potato , garlic, onions, citrus, raw beans. and thats only a few

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Some people say NO and some say they feel them and nothing happens. If you do a search on potato peels you will see lots of opinions there. I choose NOT to fee them...better safe then sorry. I know one no no are onions. Otherwise I hear they can pretty much eat whatever a human eats. They love cheerios and watermelon At least MINE DO!

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. Le Poulet

Le Poulet New Egg

Oct 21, 2012
    Have fed my hens left over onions and peppers with no problem, they love tomato scraps and watermelon and thouroghly enjoyed by garden seedling. LOL. But i may stop feeding the onions after reading the other comments.However with winter comming I suppliment them with a sweet feed normally intended for larger live stock (Rocky Mountain Sweet Feed I've only found it at D&B supply)seems to keep them laying stronger and staying warmer. Figured this out becuase that same feed gave me one more year to spend with my 43 yr old mule that had barley any teeth, and was in my family for 4 generation. No kidding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by