Can chickens eat raw potato peelings or lettuce

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LittleChooks, Jun 30, 2012.

1. LittleChooks

LittleChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Aberdeenshire, UK
    Hi guys,
    We are looking after next doors chickens just now and were wondering wether they could eat lettuce and raw potato peelings. Does any body know?

2. Purechick

Purechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    I don't think they can eat raw potato peelings but they can eat lettuce. [​IMG]

3. madi99

madi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Long Island, New York
    X2 [​IMG]

4. Im Barred up

Im Barred up Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    New Brunswick
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

If the potato peelings are turning green; they are toxic. Should not be eaten by chickens or people.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002875.htm

If they are NOT turning green; they are OK.

Imp

Since you are chicken sitting. (Which is very nice of you, very, very nice) I would not vary from the owners instructions.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  6. Smf0723

Smf0723 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    I know that chickens can eat dark lettuce.

7. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    Chickens can eat potato peels, even the ones turning slightly green. Yes, the green ones can be toxic, but only in very large quantities. If chickens are getting the bulk of their diet from laying hen pellets, then they won't overeat on the questionable items. However, you don't want to feed them quantities of food that they can't or won't finish, and that will make a mess of your yard (that's why I have a compost pile in my chicken run. They shred what they don't eat. They'll be fussy if they have a choice. For example, there's no harm from putting coffee grounds in the compost that your chickens have access to. However, that certainly wouldn't be a healthy food for them it that's all they got! See my compost system here: http://hencam.com/compost-in-the-chicken-run/) It's much worse to give them lots of bread and cracked corn which will make them fat and upset their mineral balance than to give them access to a compost pile that has lots of variety.
    The only absolutely toxic in any quantity item that I know of is avocado.
    I have a feeding FAQ here:
    http://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/

In your situation, I'd just give them the laying hen pellets. If you want to give them a treat, they'll be very happy to see a tomato or a watermelon rind!

1 person likes this.
  8. LittleChooks

Jun 30, 2012
    Aberdeenshire, UK
    Thanks very much for all your replies and I think it would be ok to give them a little bit of potato peelings then. By the way terryg, I always liked hencam.com and wondered who owned it (is that your webcam, if so, I like it!). ;)

9. jpcode

jpcode Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sacramento
    I doubt they would eat raw potato peels, but you could microwave them and let them cool and then they would love them.

10. LittleChooks

Jun 30, 2012
    Aberdeenshire, UK
    Thanks for that fact, since my me sort neighbours are back now I will tell them that. Cheers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by