1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens eat safflower seeds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tazcat70, Oct 22, 2008.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

If so do they like them?

Thanks!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Do you mean sunflower seeds? Chickens love them and they are good for them.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Safflower seeds are white and a bit smaller than sunflower seeds.

i'm sure they will eat them and most likely won't hurt them. I am a firm believer that a chicken will only things that won't kill them. I have Morning glories all around my run and coop. They are poisonous, cause convulsions and such. My girls wont touch them but will jump up and pluck the gourd flowers that are growning with the morning glories.

4. chickaboom

chickaboom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2008
    WV
    HOLY MACKEREL. I did NOT know that. I have morning glories growing up the fence outside my coop too!

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Thanks CoyoteMagic, I have never heard of Safflower seeds in my neck of the woods.

6. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I gave my girlies Safflower Seeds mixed with Black oil Sunflower Seeds and cracked corn as a treat. They LOVED it! Actually they would pick all the Safflower out FIRST.

oh yeah... It never hurt my girls...

7. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My parrot gets pellets and a seed mix with safflower seeds in it. The first thing she goes for is the safflower so a have to ration it so she won't get fat! [​IMG]
    If she can have it, I would guess chickens could too.

8. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

AWESOME!!!!! Thanks ya'all!

9. tasgoddess

tasgoddess New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    My ladies ADORE safflower seeds ! I, too, have to ration them... I discovered that they also love pomegranate seeds (I grow them, but they never ripen enough in my area for human consumption).

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yep and yep. But I only bought one little bag because they are expensive where I am. They ate 'em up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by