1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Chickens eat there own Medicated eggs ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1TurkenLover, Dec 21, 2013.

1. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    So we've been treating them for worms. just started with Medicated Feed, and Layer probiotics in water. as well as giving DE . . . great on outside not working on the insides.
    so now I realize Humans should not eat the eggs but is it OK to give them to the chickens ?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Are you using the DE and medicated feed for the worms? If so, then it probably won't work--DE is good for preventing external parasites, but it doesn't tend to work on internal parasites. And medicated feed usually contains a coccidiostat, not a wormer. I would recommend getting a real wormer, like SafeGuard, Valbazen, Wazine (in a pinch, as it only works on roundworms), or the Worminator (http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584).

As for your question on whether they can eat their eggs if they are being medicated/wormed, the answer is yes, they can. But although it won't hurt them initially, I still wouldn't recommend doing so, in order to prevent worms/bacteria from becoming resistant to the particular antibiotic/wormer.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

4. 1TurkenLover

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    DE is for what's bugging my Birds and Coop, I throw some in when I add Sand to coop, Dust Baths and dust birds quarterly. I thought ~~~ Coccidiostat was for ~ diarrhea ?

BantamLover21
    : have you used ~ H-4-8 WORMINATOR ~ How did it work out ? What's in it ?
    SO it's approved here in U S of A. ? I just realized we need to treat ALL of our animals that go outside.

As this Winter is looking to be the Wettest we've had in Years ( freezing days of long Cold is needed to kill as many nasty's in Yard [​IMG] as we can ) we Just spent $--$ at vet treating one of our Rescues [​IMG] our Chesapeake Bay Retriever for dangerous Diarrhea ( my words ) home treatment Did not work this time ( 3 days of Probiotics and caned Plain Pumpkin ) VETS are well worth the Money If you have it. who can make plans for this ?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    A coccidiostat is for preventing and/or treating Coccidiosis, which is caused by a protozoan parasite naturally present in most environments. A common sign of coccidiosis is diarrhea, though. The Worminator contains pyrantel pamoate (combantrin), which is effective against roundworms, capillary worms, hookworms and pinworms. It won't treat gapeworm or tapeworm. I've used it in my birds and have never had a worm problem, or seen harmful side effects. Its a good wormer because the egg withdrawal period is only 24 hours, and it works rapidly. I'm not sure if it is approved in the U.S.--many wormers aren't. But I still use it. If you're looking for an effective wormer for your chickens, I would definitely recommend using the Worminator, or you could try SafeGuard or Valbazen.

6. 1TurkenLover

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    I'm going to try using the H-4-8 WORMINATOR first, Have you used this @ same time with something that treats Gapeworm or Tapeworm ?
    OR would be that be Over Kill ? can you treat for too much when it comes to worms ?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by