Can Chickens eat those green japanese tree beetles???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by can you hear me now?, Jul 9, 2010.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    It finally rained here. Been almost two months. Anyway now that it rained we have tons of those green beetles flying around everywhere. If I were to catch them would it be safe for my birds to eat them? Has anyone tried this? If it is I will go out with a net and start catching them because at the moment they are just pests flying around everywhere.

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Yep, mine gobble them up. I just wish they would learn how to pick them off of my rose bushes before they destroy them.

3. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Good to know I am headed outside now with a net to catch as many as possible and give them birds a treat lol.

4. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I have a chair in my chick's pen and one of those beetles landed next to me. I, being terrified by flying bugs, picked up my most experienced bug-catcher and shoved her face at it. All she did was look at it and chirp! Do they really like it, or will they just eat it because it's food?

5. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    of that I am not sure. I am wanting to get some and throw them in the run, been working on a net for them in case it is a good eating frenzy.

6. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I had a bunch on my blackberry canes this morning and I just gathered them in my hand, dunked them in water so that they wouldn't be able to fly away and threw them in the feeding pan and my hens ate them in about one second! I have 2 two month old hens and 2 one month old hens and the little girls never even saw the bugs because the big girls ate them so quickly! They seemed to be a big hit!

7. RoninComputing

RoninComputing Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Tempe AZ
    When scattering treats like that on the ground do not wear open toe shoes...especially with painted toenails....... OUCH [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by