can chickens eat uncooked egg yolk?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by oliviad51, Aug 16, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Sometimes I will crack an egg on accident and they will have to go to waste. Is it okay for me to feed them back to the chickens?

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I do and i have over 150 layers with no egg eaters

3. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Sure you can! You could scramble it in a bowl, and put it in the microwave for 1 minute per egg and feed that to them too. Dont feed them the egg raw straight off the ground- I used to do that when I found a cracked one in a nest, I just tossed it into the runn for the hungry hens, then I developed 3 egg eaters- very bad news. I had to put them down after trying everything to break them of it. No one wants an egg eating hen. Mine would lay, turn around, and eat their eggs, but they NEVER did that until I started feeding them raw eggs from the nest in their pen.

Feed them the shells all crunched up too- its great calcium for them.

4. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    ok thanks guys..I have always fed them crushed up egg shells and have never had a problem but just recently I saw someone on BYC saying to peel off the membrane? Should I start doing this?

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Sometimes the quail will crack some of their eggs and they fit through the chicken wire so I just drop them in the run and they try to beat each other too them. If I just roll them through at the bottom they look at me like i'm crazy. If I happen to drop one in the coop they're on it before I have a chance to do anything. But they don't eat them unless it gets dropped. I figure they are used to me tossing them scraps and such so if it's tossed or dropped it's food.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:If you feed them the shells while they are fresh there is no need to bake them they will be gone before that membrane can spoil unless you are feeding just a few chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by