Can chickens eat Western Conifer Seed bugs?

greggooo

Happy Chickens!
Aug 29, 2017
Woodstock, NY
My Coop
My Coop
We seem to have them everywhere this year. They look kinda like stink bugs, but are western conifer seed bugs and they smell horrible. Beastie, my rooster, really took to them this afternoon. Should we be worried? Anybody know?

Attachments

• west-conifer-seed-bug-300x199.jpg
    west-conifer-seed-bug-300x199.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 30
I personally would not be worried unless someone tells you otherwise,Because chickens are scavengers and can pretty much eat anything unless it is toxic to the chicken.

Well, seems like since we have been letting the chickens out for a couple hours a day, they have all discovered them and go nuts for them.
They absolutely love bugs they will do the same if you give them mill worms,they go crazy for those.

Boy howdy! Now I know those conifer cone beetles are evil and conniving as well as annoyingly stinky. They probably stowed away in someone's camper and hitched to New York from my western states. One year they were so bad here that I was literally vacuuming gallons of them off the sides of my house. Like a tick, they sense your body heat and will drop down onto your head from where they've been waiting on the doorway, and they hitch their way indoors where they enjoy the balmy warmth.

My chickens see one and run the other way. This beetle has a knack of divining the intentions of a human or critter in its vicinity and it unleashes a stream of its stink juice in their direction.

They are not poisonous. If your chickens will eat them, they're better than my little cowards.

Back
Top Bottom