1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens eat whole oats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sues, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Sues

Sues New Egg

Aug 7, 2009
    I am a new owner of 9 RIR pullets. I have a book that says to mix their grain ration 50/50 with oats, but a friend said oats swell up in chickens and they will die. Can they eat oats safely? I have a horse and was going to feed them some of his oats(steamed rolled).

2. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I give my chickens rolled oats- ie. Quaker Oats- as a treat with no problems. They do like it.

3. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I mixed "whole oats" in with my scratch feed. It was leftover from planting food plots for deer season. Mine had no troubles....did the same with "whole wheat"...leftovers from planting went into the scratch feed bin

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    They can eat them, no problem. That's just an urban myth. Mine will eat oats but clearly prefer corn and sunflower seeds in their scratch. I mix my own.

5. chookchookchooky

chookchookchooky New Egg

Aug 9, 2009
    mine love oats, wheetbix, sunflower seeds and water all mixed together, its like their winter treat. if they are showing signs of colds i also mix honey and cinnamon as a cure, not sure if this is ok but its supposed to work for humans and its natural. The eggs are rich and huge and tasty, people are begging me for my eggs as we all know much better than the super market variety, i will never eat a bought egg again.

6. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    My chickens eat oats that the horses leave behind. No problems yet.

7. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Mine free range and clean up everything dribbled by the horse or me other then the oats!
    So my strange chickens some of who still do not roost, will not eat oats... [​IMG]

8. peachychick

peachychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Chlorine treated water...

Does chlorine treated water [city water] effect the success rates when using meds such as Corrid/Sulmet or any drug used in chicken's drinking water?

Thanks,
    David

9. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:No, but if you are worried about it let the water sit 24 hours, the chlorine will evaporate.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I give my birds oats with their scratch and unshelled sunflower seeds. They love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by