Can chickens fly out?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Oct 22, 2007.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    We built our coop and it is approximately 12 feet long, 6 feet wide and 12 feet high. Our chicks are 7 weeks old this week. Can they fly out? We haven't moved them in yet. Thanks!

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    It sounds like you are talking about the outside wire run rather than the building they would roost in at night that we call the coop. At 7 weeks old they shouldn't be able to fly out, but, depending on their breed, they might when they become adults. Most layers couldn't escape from 12' but bantys can easily clear it.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    It is their inside coop and we built it in the corner of the barn. Just didn't want to waste wire to cover the top if we didn't have to, and didn't want any surprises! We have black stars, red stars, barred rocks, RI reds and araucanas; no bantys.

Here's a pic (and sorry it's so big; I don't know how to resize it):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  4. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    My chickens Production Reds ,California grays , and Americaunas can all fly up ontop of my dog run which is about 8 feet tall. They have no problem, I think they could go right up to twelve if they wished.

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Chickens like to roost at the highest spot, so they will eventually roost on top of the 12' wall regardless of where you put your roosts.

Cover it. Chicken wire or bird netting will work fine. Just be sure the barn is predator proof, because some varmints will go through chicken wire like it is paper.

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Another 4 or 5 weeks and the araucana will easily do 12'.

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Yes, wire can get expensive, but deer netting is cheap and works fine for a cover. I bought mine at Lowe's.

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Deer netting is great. Have used it on outdoor chick runs and watched hawks bounce off it.

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Is deer netting heavy? I can only assume so since you said , "hawks bounce off of it"? I have poultry netting outside over the ducks pens but it is very light weight but it still keeps the ducks from flying out of it. Just wondering if I should try deep netting instead?
    Good job on the inside coop!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  10. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thanks for the tips. We did cover it with plywood sheets and secured it. I was more worried about raccoons getting in than I was about the chickens getting out. I've never seen a chicken fly so I didn't know how much room they needed for "take off"! Here's a pic of the happy group in their new home.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by