Can chickens fly?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by porkchop48, Jun 19, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I had not planned on putting a roof on my run. The fencing will be about 6 ft high.

Can the chickens fly out of it? DO chickens fly?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes they do and yes they can.

That said, it depends on breed and how much they wish to escape.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine not only fly, they "climb" my 6' fence if they really, really want out (or in.) I was amazed, have seen it 2 or 3 times now. They climb with their claws while madly flapping their wings. Most days they calmly stay in this yard -- it has to be something unusual to bring this on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2011
  4. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    so would my best option be to just put a top on it?

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Up to you. Many on here put a top on to keep hawks out -- or if it's strong enough, to keep most anything out. I would imagine most breeds will stay inside a 6' fence most of the time; it will vary with the breed. You may want at least part of it covered anyway to keep snow out.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Mine fly all the time. They've flown on top of my shoulder while I was standing in their coop. They fly to the top of the run all the time. I do have a top on the run as well. I don't want them escaping nor do I want other birds flying in there and snatching up my girls.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Yes. And not only the flying/climbing out, but predators from land and air can easily get in. After learning the hard way, ALL my runs are covered with wire or a roof.

8. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Every now in then my five do the quail flush, straight up into the wire above, ten feet high. Yes chickens can fly, not very good but they can fly

FYI, I am going to tell you what an old-timer told me, chickens are fun, but remember, everything wants to eat them.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  9. ChickenBoy14

ChickenBoy14 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    That very intresting but do your pets want to???[​IMG]

10. chicks are me

chicks are me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Sometimes.The Black Sumatra and the Sicilian Buttercup,are known to be more flighty than other chickens.Still, there are some heavy breeds that can barely get off the ground,making them a better choice for some people.Of course, you can stop birds from being flighty if you clip their wings.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by