1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens get Cherry Eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dresden, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Dresden

Dresden Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2016
    On of our 3 month old Polish chickens looks as though she has Cherry Eye. It does not seem to be causing her any pain and we only noticed it yesterday. We were worried about it being a sign of MG but none of her other little friends have any signs of it, and neither does she, only this strange looking eye. Any help would be awesome, thank you[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some chickens can have more of the conjunctiva or red membrane showing around the eye than others. I have also seen pictures of growths appearing there which were probably tumors. I would keep an eye on it. If the other eye is a big saggy, it could be an inherited trait. Polish chickens can be real targets for pecking, so I would look out for signs of that.
    Since mycoplasma or MG, a respiratory disease, can cause this type of swelling, if you see any foam or eye drainage, or other respiratory symptoms, then I would probably treat for MG with an antibiotic, such as Tylan 50 injectable or oxytetracycline. Here is a bit about MG:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  3. Dresden

Dresden Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2016
    Took another look at her today in better light, and the other eye is starting to sag as well. Still no other signs of MG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by