Can chickens get colds/or pnuemonia

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newbarredrockandsilkiemom, Jan 11, 2010.

1. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

newbarredrockandsilkiemom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    I had a silkie to fall through thin ice over their water bowl. They normaly never get up there but this one must have because it was thirsty. When I found it it was cold and wet, i brought it in the house and dried it with a hair dryer and it ate and drank. Today, how ever, it sounds like a rattle in it's chest on occasion when it breathes, not all the time, just every now and again. Won't eat or drink for me, I have water soluable vitamins/electrolytes and antibiotics and I have given 3 or 4 syringe fulls. It won't stand up on it's own, it is trying to balance when I pick it up and it will open it's eyes then. Other than that it's keeping it's eyes closed. After I give it water I can hold the water bowl up and it will take 2 or 3 drinks on it's own. It will not eat. What can I do that I haven't done already?
    Thanks,
    Michele

2. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    yes they can, the best you can do is supportive care. A heat lamp to warm the core temperature, oatmeal( the instant is fine) and I like to add a few blue berries as the color entices them to eat it. You did good offering the water, too many people have tried forcing the water and end up aspirating the lungs with even more fluid. And you learned a valuable lesson about frozen waterer's. I don't thing anyone who lives in the cold climates hasn't lost at least 1 bird to said experience. Good luck with your little bird.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Try warm scrambled eggs or warm canned dog food etc.. you can put it in their beak. Keep under a heat lamp or on a heating pad.

4. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    Is there any kind of medicine I can give her? Right now I'm giving her water soluable Tetracycline (sp?). I have put her on a heating pad and she is in my bathroom (no body goes in there but my husband and I) it's very warm in there, probably 70 -75. I have a hand towel rolled up and holing her upright on the heating pad. Is there anything else I can do? I felt her crop and it's no way near full but I have managed to get her to eat a little bit of yogurt and she's drank water. I'm going to go fix her some eggs and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice. I truely appreciate it.
    Michele

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If what you are giving does not, Tylan 50 or LA200 is good.

6. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    If what I'm giving her does not.. what? How long should it take to see some improvement? How do you give LA200? I thought it was injectable or can you put it in water?
    Thanks,
    Michele

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sorry.....LOL. If it does not help her in a few days. Honestly I would give Tylan, as often respiratory illness can be nasty. Tylan 50 injectable, 1/4-1/2 cc for bantam, 1/2-1cc for a Standard chicken, in the breast muscle for 3 days. Some people do 2 X a day, some only once. Some people will give that amount by mouth or put in a small amount of water. Injection works best if they are not drinking well. There is Tyan powder but it is $$$ and I don't like it as much.

8. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    Thanks
    She, well, I think it's a she, just pooped and it's real runny and a greenish brown with black "chunks" in it.
    What does that mean?
    Thanks,
    Michele

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  10. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    Thank you both, but he crossed the rainbow bridge about 5pm or so. I really appreciate your advice and help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by