Can chickens get colds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by igot4roosters, Jun 4, 2014.

1. igot4roosters

igot4roosters Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    Hey, I need to know if chickens can get colds because some of my chickens are sneezing a lot and wheezing and i don't know where to get medicine or what kind if they need it.[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Unlike people, chickens don't get "colds". They get respiratory diseases, some of which can be quite serious. However, your birds may not have a respiratory disease-- is it dusty in the coop? Dust, or high ammonia levels, can cause wheezing/sneezing too.

A respiratory disease is possible, though. Some common respiratory diseases are Infectious Bronchitis (which is usually relatively mild), Chronic Respiratory Disease (more severe), and Infectious Coryza (which yours probably don't have, as it usually causes severe swelling and a foul smell). My first guess would be that your chickens have Infectious Bronchitis.

If you have just noticed this sneezing, I'd isolate the sick birds. If its been going on for a while, isolating will likely make little, if any, difference, as the other birds have already been exposed to the disease.

I'd start giving your birds some elctrolytes and vitamins. This will boost their immune system and help them fight off the disease. Infectious Bronchitis is a viral diseases, which means that antibiotics won't help a lot. But, it would still be a good idea to get antibiotics in case it is a bacterial disease. Also, antibiotics can prevent secondary bacterial infections even if the birds are suffering from a viral disease.

Tyaln50 is one of the better antibiotics for respiratory diseases. It is usually given as an injection, though there is a water soluable powder version, but this is more difficult to find. You should be able to find Tylan50 at a feed store or livestock supply store. If using Tylan injectable, get some 20-22 gauge needles and syringes to give the injection.

Keep in mind that even though antibiotics may seem to "cure" your bird, and the birds may seem to recover, most respiratory diseases make birds carriers for life. These carrier birds can pass it on to other chickens, and sometimes to their own offspring through the egg.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  3. chelsea91

chelsea91 New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Hi over the past 2 days i jave noticed 1 of my bantams is sneezing a lot. The other birds seem to be ok. The only signs i am seeing is a little weight loss and sneezing. Will my bantam be ok and are the eggs still safe to eat thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by