1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens get Hemorrhoids?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MimiChick, Oct 8, 2011.

1. MimiChick

MimiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Glocester, RI
    I have a Rhode Island Red who has laid BIG eggs from the time she was a pullet. The past few days she has laid a couple of super jumbo eggs. She's a little lethargic tonight and when I checked her vent there's a couple of nodule like protrusions on the bottom part. It looks like hemorrhoids. Is this possible? Should I worry? Is there anything I can do? Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give.

2. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    Sounds like prolapse, as long as it's not sticking out too much and the other birds don't pick at her vent she should be OK.
    You can even put Preparation H on it .

1 person likes this.
  3. Americana

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    Prolapse can be caused by unusually large eggs, so I bet that's what it is. If you can isolate her that would be best, and put the cream on.
    I wouldn't worry, it's fairly normal and usually doesn't kill them unless the other birds pick at it.

4. MimiChick

MimiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Glocester, RI
    The nodules are on the inside of the vent, nothing actually showing. I only saw them because I opened her vent a little to check for any possible bleeding. She's not getting pecked, although one of the other girls, who likes to clean of everyon's beak [​IMG] seemed to be checking the Reds vent area. Would a small (possible) prolapse like this be considered like hemorrhoids?

5. Americana

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    I don't know would if it be considered to be hemorrhoids, but I would put the cream on.
    Glad it's not sticking out though [​IMG]
    She'll be fine.

6. Marcy73

Marcy73 New Egg

Apr 22, 2014
    My baby chick has a protrusion, I put Vaseline all over it, my chicks are in the fluff to feather stage, wondering if she is sick and I should separate her, she's not much smaller than the others and I put probiotics in their water:/
    :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by