Can chickens get laryngitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickPeas, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    My bantam rooster Iris has a high pitched crow, but since yesterday evening, he sounds like he's losing his voice. His crow sounds strained. [​IMG]

I don't think he was injured in anyway. Can a rooster lose his voice? He can be a little nasty man and attacks me fairly often. He's a teeny little thing but he packs a hard punch so when he comes at me, I swat him away. Now I'm petrified I've swatted him and hurt him somehow. [​IMG]

I don't think I did, but I'm worried about him...paranoid me is thinking cancer or something odd. [​IMG]

Any ideas? I don't know if I should take him to the vet or not.

2. cowgirlup

cowgirlup New Egg

Aug 26, 2008
    Bonnie, Illinois
    I have the same question, my rooster had a good crow and then all of a sudden this morning, he sounded like he had laryngitis. ???????????

3. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    how old is the roo

4. cowgirlup

cowgirlup New Egg

Aug 26, 2008
    Bonnie, Illinois
    He is about 6-8 months old.

5. cowgirlup

cowgirlup New Egg

Aug 26, 2008
    Bonnie, Illinois
    Hello???? Anybody else ever seen this before?

6. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    some do it while they still young they still devolpiling and have not got it down right just yet

7. cowgirlup

cowgirlup New Egg

Aug 26, 2008
    Bonnie, Illinois
    Well, he was crowing very well, this has been for about a month now, and then this morning I noticed the squeak........

8. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I think the other posters are right, it can happen to a maturing roo. Have you observed any other symptoms that would make you think he is ill? Are his droppings normal?

9. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    Iris was born in March and is the alpha of a flock of 6 hens. He appears normal..he's his usual little brat self.

When are roos completely mature? You mean his voice could actually be changing again?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by