can chickens get too spoiled from veggies scraps that they stop eating their mesh?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NightsInWhiteSilkies, Mar 20, 2012.

1. NightsInWhiteSilkies

NightsInWhiteSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2011
    One of my silkies wont eat much of the mesh feed I put down. Ive given them a bowl of veggies each morning and in the early evening some protein foods of nuts and suet. Ive noticed one of my silkies hasnt eaten much of the feed so today didnt give them the veggies or protien mix all day or evening and when I put them in their coop the one silkies crop was empty.
    Im wondering can she have become so used to the daily extras Ive given them that she wont eat her feed now?
    Will she eventually eat the feed if this is the case?
    Their in an enclosed coop and runner and there isnt any grass or nutrients for them to graze on so I give them daily veggies and protein mixes to supplement to give them a balanced diet......
    Thankyou for any thoughts on this.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, they certainly will quit eating their food if they get a lot of "treats." The extras are often good for them but they need that mash more than the extra veggies. I have to be careful how much and how often I give mine cause they'll stop eating their food too. They will think you're trying to starve them to death at first but after all, they have a full feeder sitting right there.

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    The daily vegetables sound great, they are probably getting just a little too much so they are full enough not to eat the other feed.

4. NightsInWhiteSilkies

Nov 3, 2011
    So Im going to not give them the daily veggies and protein mix for a few days then only every other day in much smaller portions but in the meantime will they eventually start eating their mesh? I thought they might be eating less of it because the feeder isnt filled near as much as it used too.

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    That's what I'd do. And make sure they do have food all day.

6. NightsInWhiteSilkies

Nov 3, 2011
    Oh they have their main feed dish and also I put one in their coop for them at night but they seemed to ignore them and I was noticing one silkies crop wasnt full when I put them in their coop last night.
    This morning I put a handful of mesh in their veggie dish and brought it out to them like it was their morning snack and sprinkled some mesh along their extended runner and all hens crops are now pretty full.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by